I’ve been sporting facial hair since I grew a moustache at 18. My beard has come and gone over the years. The goatee has been around for the last 10 years or so.
I’ve now had more years with facial hair than without.
But I’ve never had a Duck Dynasty beard.
For those who aren’t familiar, Duck Dynasty is a reality TV series that follows the Robertson family and their duck call business, Duck Commander. The Robertson men are known for their robust beards.
If you’ve ever wondered what you’d look like with a Duck Dynasty beard, follow this link to the Duck Dynasty Beard Yourself Facebook app. I’ve shared my handiwork above.
Yep, that picture up there? Not my real beard.
See, I’ve decided to grow myself a Duck Dynasty beard. I figure it’ll take about a year, maybe a bit longer.
It’s been 12 days so far, and all is well.
It’s amazing how polarizing the topic of beards can be. People (especially ladies) seem to either love them or hate them. So why, you ask, would I suddenly decide to grow a Duck Dynasty beard?
- My company is hosting a rock ‘n’ roll theme party in January 2014 and I want to go as a member of ZZ Top.
- My wife has been asking me to grow my hair long for years. The beard has been included in the dare. Happy wife, happy life!
- It’s a bit of a “social experiment” to see how differently people react to me with long hair and a bushy beard.
- I figure it will help me look more the part of a “Christian in the Rough”. Kinda like the anti-Joel Osteen. Same muscular build and pasty white complexion, with the head of a Robertson instead of an Osmond.
- I’m hoping to one day be included in The Bearded Idealist‘s Beard of the Month feature, which is not only a lot of fun, but also helps raise money for a great cause.
Check in for regular updates on the beard’s progress. Use the app to beard yourself and post the link. Or guys, why not join me and grow your own Duck Dynasty beard?
How do you feel about beards?
P.S. For an update, check out 5 More Reasons Why I’m Growing My Beard.