5 Reasons I’m Growing a Duck Dynasty Beard

by Larry Hehn on February 8, 2013

Duck Dynasty beardI’ve been sporting facial hair since I grew a moustache at 18. My beard has come and gone over the years. The goatee has been around for the last 10 years or so.

I’ve now had more years with facial hair than without.

But I’ve never had a Duck Dynasty beard.

For those who aren’t familiar, Duck Dynasty is a reality TV series that follows the Robertson family and their duck call business, Duck Commander. The Robertson men are known for their robust beards.

If you’ve ever wondered what you’d look like with a Duck Dynasty beard, follow this link to the Duck Dynasty Beard Yourself Facebook app. I’ve shared my handiwork above.

Yep, that picture up there? Not my real beard.

Yet.

See, I’ve decided to grow myself a Duck Dynasty beard. I figure it’ll take about a year, maybe a bit longer.

It’s been 12 days so far, and all is well.

It’s amazing how polarizing the topic of beards can be. People (especially ladies) seem to either love them or hate them. So why, you ask, would I suddenly decide to grow a Duck Dynasty beard?

1. My company is hosting a rock ‘n’ roll theme party in January 2014 and I want to go as a member of ZZ Top.
  2. My wife has been asking me to grow my hair long for years. The beard has been included in the dare. Happy wife, happy life!
  3. It’s a bit of a “social experiment” to see how differently people react to me with long hair and a bushy beard.
  4. I figure it will help me look more the part of a “Christian in the Rough”. Kinda like the anti-Joel Osteen. Same muscular build and pasty white complexion, with the head of a Robertson instead of an Osmond.
  5. I’m hoping to one day be included in The Bearded Idealist‘s Beard of the Month feature, which is not only a lot of fun, but also helps raise money for a great cause.

Check in for regular updates on the beard’s progress. Use the app to beard yourself and post the link. Or guys, why not join me and grow your own Duck Dynasty beard?

How do you feel about beards?

P.S. For an update, check out 5 More Reasons Why I’m Growing My Beard.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Julie Stewart February 8, 2013 at 2:19 am

Not a fan of beards when they are of the Duck Dynasty variety. I don’t mind a bit of scruff but if it needs ‘trimming’ , it is probably too long for me

Larry Hehn February 8, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Or if you can hide things in it…

Jon Stolpe February 8, 2013 at 7:19 am

I have a goatee going right now, and I’ve only sported a full beard for my brother’s wedding many years ago. I’m okay with beards as long as my wife’s okay with beards. It’s nice to take a break from shaving every once in a while.
Jon Stolpe recently posted..Ice Breaker – WatchingMy Profile

Larry Hehn February 8, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I hear you about the shaving break, Jon. Though I’ve found that maintaining a beard and moustache is often more time-consuming than shaving, it’s nice not to be a slave to the razor.

Kevin Martineau February 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm

First off, I LOVE Duck Dynasty! :)

I wish I could grow a beard like Willie, Jase and the boys but that would require a miracle comparable to crossing the Red Sea. ;)
Kevin Martineau recently posted..3 signs you may be an approval addictMy Profile

Larry Hehn February 8, 2013 at 4:56 pm

You’re handsome just the way you are, Kevin. :)

Leah Adams February 8, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Goatee on my man – check, neatly trimmed beard on my man – check, Duck Dynasty beard on my man – NOT! Good luck with your growing!!

Larry Hehn February 8, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I appreciate that, Leah. Thanks!

Peter Graham February 8, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Hi Larry, it’s on!

I had a good start to my own Duck dynasty beard going last year – let ‘er grow from sometime in late September to October 31, when I shaved it all of to be Shrek for halloween, and also to participate in MOvember. I started to let it grow back once MOvember was over, and kept it trimmed through the holidays, but no more!

Been back at it since about three weeks ago now, so you and I are on track.

Hmm. Just re-read and the part about Happy Wife, Happy Life struck me. Let me check and see if I can ‘go out and play.’ I’ll let you know!

Larry Hehn February 9, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Looking forward to it, Peter!

Peter Graham March 9, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Sorry to take so long to get back to you – but we are on.

The beard is getting healthier every day – in fact a colleague walked by yesterday with a quick ‘hi,’ then she backed up, looked at me for a moment and said ‘gettin’ kinda scraggly there.’ All I could say was ‘kinda?’ and we both laughed.

Kinda, indeed.

David March 6, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I too am in the process of growing a beard like the guys from duck dynasty. How is it coming along?

Larry Hehn March 7, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I’m now on Day 40, and it’s coming along quite well! Very full and thick, though still a far cry from Duck Dynasty length. How far along are you, David?